Monday, April 23, 2012

Combat Food


I seem to have a food theme going on here.

Here's me holding an American MRE with a Croatian ration, compliments of my buddy Srecko who left the ration behind when he went back home. Yes, the Croatian one is enormous but I think it's supposed to last all day, while the American one is just a single meal (although I can attest that eating more than one MRE in a day is pretty much the definition of a bad day).

And speaking of bad days, during the May 15th attack, when rockets were bursting in air and we were on lock down, we opened the Croatian ration (that's fun to say - croatian ration, croatian ration). We - and by "we" I mean "I" - opened it partly out of curiousity and a lack of things to do, and partly because dinner-time came and went and we were getting a bit hungry (and by "we" I still mean "I").

Here's a picture of what we found inside:

The "honey biscuits" were tasty - sort of like graham crackers, but with a hint of ginger. The package with the camo pattern is crackers. I can tell you, that's a lot of crackers. The canned meat and pate we left alone. The chocolate bar was unfortunately in bad shape - I opened it and decided life is too short to eat chocolate that looks like that.

Despite the opportunity to dine on international cuisine - an opportunity I rarely pass up - I actually ate a little bowl of microwave macaroni and cheese for dinner that night. And then around 8:30, someone brought over a big box of meals from the DFAC, so I ate pasta and meatballs too, which were quite tasty.

No comments: